WSU Troy Hall construction 1924, reconstruction 2016

PULLMAN, Wash. – Troy Hall was designed by K. Zittle as Washington State University’s original dairy building. Construction began in 1924 and the building opened Dec. 10, 1926.

Photos by Shelly Hanks and Dean Hare, WSU Photo Services, and Jeff Lannigan, WSU Capital Planning and Development. Historic photos from WSU Manuscripts, Archives and Special Collections.

It was named in honor of David S. Troy, a dairyman from Port Townsend, Wash. A member of the WSU Board of Regents 1910-16, he later became a state representative and state senator.

In conjunction with the dairy, Troy Hall also was home to the WSU Creamery, Ferdinand’s Ice Cream Shoppe and many chemistry classes.

Since its initial construction, there have been no major renovations of the building. As a result, it was in need of major remodeling and was closed in 2010. It has been on WSU’s list as a major construction project for many years.

The renovation is budgeted at $32.3 million. It began this spring, with completion planned for February 2017 and occupancy for April of that year. Jeffrey Lannigan is the WSU project manager.

When complete, Troy Hall will provide 50,202 square feet of academic instruction and research space to support chemical and environmental sciences.