PULLMAN – People on the WSU Pullman campus know well that Bryan Clock Tower, WSU’s most notable and visible landmark, received a facelift this past summer. Here is a photo gallery of the work and workers behind the scenes.
Bryan Hall and Clock Tower were constructed in 1907-1909, with the clock installed in 1910-11.
Remodeling has been under discussion many years, with more serious consideration starting in 2006. The final design of this somewhat intricate project, begun in 2008, was completed by Richard Kizer, an architect with Facilities Operations (now Capital Planning and Development).
Kizer’s goal was to design the new faces in such a way that people could not tell the difference between the old and new. The nearly 100 year old wood clock panels were replaced by panels made of aluminum and reinforced with steel.
The clock’s familiar red glow at night still is generated by 32 curved neon light bulbs. While pretty, several of the bulbs are prone to burn out two or three times a year. In addition, the wood clock faces were exposed to the weather and occasionally needed repainting.
Previously, most maintenance had to be done on the outside of the tower, as workers dangled from ropes 104-114 feet off the ground. Thanks to Kizer’s new design, employees can swivel the clock faces inside the tower to do necessary maintenance, saving money and time and ensuring safety.
The contractor on the clock tower renovation project is Golis Construction in Moscow.